Vitamin B is one of the most important supplements for alcoholics, whether you’re drinking, sober, or trying to get sober. DL-phenylalanine can also be a useful supplement for alcohol withdrawal.
However, vitamins for recovering alcoholics also crucially important to talk to your doctor about how much water is safe for you to ingest. Currently, there are nospecific recommendationson water intake after quitting drinking.
Vitamins to Take in Early Recovery
Additionally, https://ecosoberhouse.com/ can block the body’s absorption of many of the nutrients from food. If the food is predominantly junk food, the combined effect is to leave the user malnourished. I’ve been taking some of these supplements and they are helping a great deal in curbing the cravings for alcohol on a daily basis.
- They may also experience vitamin deficiencies, as alcohol impairs the body’s ability to absorb vitamins and nutrients.
- Korean Red Ginseng attenuates anxiety-like behavior during ethanol withdrawal in rats.
- If you have been drinking alcohol to excess, be sure to educate yourself about how exactly alcohol causes nutrient deficiencies.
- Supplementing the diet with magnesium supplements is recommended for any treatment plan made for recovering addicts.
- These should be at the very top of a treatment and recovery diet list.
- Dopamine is a chemical produced in the brain which plays a major role in emotions, movement and sensations of pleasure and pain.
Vitamin B1 and vitamin B2 support cell health by processing nutrients and converting carbohydrates, proteins, and fats into usable energy. The University of Michigan Health System recommends supplementing with vitamin C to help clear the body of alcohol during initial withdrawal. Also, many people with a vitamin C deficiency report feeling fatigue or depression. Deficiencies of vitamins A and C are prevalent among those who suffer from alcoholism. Vitamin A is essential for vision and central nervous system health, and vitamin C helps support the immune system. In animal studies, CBD has been shown to be an effective tool against some of the characteristics of alcohol use disorder. Research demonstrates that CBD helps to reduce alcohol intake, motivation for alcohol and relapse.
But some vitamins may provide fast relief
While you can get this from eating fish, many people choose to go with fish oil supplements. When choosing a supplement, look for one that has both EPA and DHA. However, do not consume more than3 grams of fish oil per day, as too much can cause blood thinning. B vitamins, C vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium and protein are necessary for drug detoxing. Taking zinc supplements helps to restore this vital nutrient during alcohol recovery. Foods naturally rich in zinc include meat, shellfish, legumes like lentils and chickpeas, and nuts.
Navigating the Holidays When Your Adult Child Has Substance Issues – WebMD
Navigating the Holidays When Your Adult Child Has Substance Issues.
Posted: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 08:00:00 GMT [source]